Thursday, May 22, 2014

Balsamic "Cream" Sauce

I rationalize a lot. Like, "well, it wasn't the worst thing I could have eaten" or "feta has less calories than cheddar so I can have more". That's how I feel about this sauce. It contains no cream, so it breaks down like this:

2 tbsps. unsalted butter, 200 calories, 22 grams fat
2 tbsps. all-purpose flour, 56 calories, .16 grams fat
1 chicken bouillon cube, prepared with 1 cup water, 5 calories, 0 fat 
2 tbsps. balsamic vinegar, 10 calories, 0 fat.

I don't really know how to calculate it, but straight up adding all that equals 271 calories and 27.16 grams of fat. That's a lot of fat! And I don't know how to get around that, but the sauce was delicious and surely even a cup of 2% milk would have added about a 120 calories and 4 or 5 grams of fat. But see, I saved those calories for my pasta! And chicken. And tomatoes. And mushrooms. And dang it, some fresh mozzarella. 

It all works out. 

Balsamic "Cream" Sauce

2 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour

Melt butter & whisk in flour, for 1 minute. Add

1 cup chicken broth and whisk until smooth. Add

2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar. 


No comments:

Post a Comment