Friday, March 15, 2013

Short Rib & Sausage Ragu

 

I've wanted to cook with short ribs for some time now, and finally had an opportunity this week. They were on sale at Publix and I found a delicious recipe. But of course I made some changes.

I used a recipe from Serious Eats, Cheesy Short Rib and Sausage Lasagna Soup. But I wanted more of a sauce that I could put over pasta or polenta. So I omitted 5 cups of chicken broth. Other than that, I followed the directions, except I added diced carrots (a la bolognese) and 1 tablespoon of sugar.

 

It turned out well! I cooked it for 2 hours (I love my Lodge pot :) and then removed the bay leaves and bones and shredded the meat back into the sauce. After cooking short rib meat has a pot roast consistency, tender but with some chewiness. I skimmed the fat off and brought it back to a boil before serving with ricotta and shredded cheeses. In hindsight, it would be easier to prepare this a day before, and remove the fat after it's been refrigerated. But it all worked out and it was delicious and spicy and warm. I like this recipe - it would be easy to add some mushrooms, or use it in an actual lasagna. 

Short ribs FTW!
 
The obligatory artsy-filtered picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment